You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
An 11-year-old Motueka suffered burns to his face and upper body when a gas bottle being used for a barbecue exploded.
The incident occurred near the Kaiteriteri Motor Camp about 8pm.
An ambulance spokeswoman said the boy suffered significant burns to his head, face, shoulders and torso
He was treated on-board the Nelson Marlborough Rescue Helicopter by an intensive care paramedic on his way to Nelson Hospital.