Part of a Wellington rest home has been evacuated following a chemical reaction between cleaning substances.
Fire Service central communications shift manager Murray Dunbar said firefighters were alerted to the incident at Johnsonvale Home in Johnsonville about 3.30pm.
"There's been two chemicals mixed together."
The mixing of the cleaning chemicals caused a "chemical reaction," Mr Dunbar said.
"I understand there was a partial evacuation from one end of the rest home to the other of residents and staff, and one house adjacent to the location was evacuated."
No one was hurt from the chemical reaction, and the situation was being stabilised, Mr Dunbar said.
"We're just waiting for the chemicals to be uplifted by a company for disposal."