You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Families of the victims of the CTV building collapse are seeking legal advice on how to force police to review their decision not to prosecute over the deaths.
Family spokesman Maan Alkaisi said they also wanted a meeting with Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern before Christmas.
Dr Alkaisi, who lost his wife when the CTV building collapsed during the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake, said Japanese families in contactwith the CTV families were also seeking support from their government.
Police announced last week they had decided not to prosecute Alan Reay and David Harding, the engineers responsible for the building's design in 1986.
Deputy solicitor-general Brendan Horsley said Christchurch Crown solicitor Mark Zarifeh considered that there was sufficient evidence to prosecute the two men for negligent manslaughter, but Mr Horsley decided to take a more "conservative'' approach.
"A key difficulty for the prosecution would be in proving that the building would not have collapsed in the absence of the identified design errors,'' he said.
He said a prosecution was also ruled out by a clause in the Crimes Act providing that a prosecution for negligent manslaughter must be started within a year and a day after the negligent conduct ceased.
"The year and a day rule is an historical anomaly and law reform is currently being considered,'' he said.
The families will hold a peaceful protest in Latimer Square, Christchurch on Sunday.