Dog impounded after Waiuku attack

The dog that attacked a woman in Waiuku on Saturday has been impounded, and will likely be euthanased.

The attack, on the corner of Queen St and Victoria Ave in the South Auckland town, happened at about 1pm on Waitangi Day. The neutered male Staffordshire bull terrier cross was unrestrained.

The dog was known to the council, and had a "history", Auckland Council animal management's Tracey Moore said.

She would not comment further on the dog's past, or whether it was classified as dangerous or menacing under the Dog Control Act.

It was likely the dog's owner would be prosecuted.

The woman, in her late 60s, is in a stable condition in a surgical ward at Middlemore Hospital.

Photos of the savage attack shared by her granddaughter on Facebook showed an open wound on the woman's leg, and her foot covered in blood.

A later photo showed large bruises and a large gash on the woman's shin.

"The owner and his mate just left her to bleed," the post said.

It was shared on Facebook more than 4000 times, before being taken down.

Ms Moore told the Herald that the family had not initially contacted the council, but the woman was tracked down through her granddaughter.

She and other family members were "very distressed", Ms Moore said, but had given statements to the council. As a result the dog was identified and surrendered earlier today.

Ms Moore said an investigation to the attack was likely to be completed by the end of the week. The dog's owner was cooperating with the council.

Based on statements from witnesses, Ms Moore said it was likely the dog would be classified as dangerous, and would be euthanased.

She urged people to contact Auckland Council on (09) 301 0101 if they saw aggressive behaviour or dog attacks.

Owners needed to remember that dogs being exercised in public needed to be kept on a leash at all times, unless in a designated off-leash area.

Dog Control Act, 1996: The owner of a dog that causes serious injury to a person is liable for imprisonment for up to three years and/or a fine of up to $20,000.

The court can order the destruction of the animal unless it decides the circumstances of the attack were exceptional and do not justify destruction.

- Susan Strongman

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter