You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Five people have been injured after a chemical spill in Christchurch this afternoon.
Emergency services were called to the incident just off Lunns Rd in Middleton, shortly after 12.30pm.
A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman said four fire trucks and a hazmat unit attended.
The spokesman said more than a thousand litres of nitric acid had been spilled.
A cordon remains in place but the spill has been contained, and 25 staff are helping with the clean-up by applying a neutralising agent.
Fenz said it expected crews would be there for the rest of the day.
A St John spokesman said five people sustained moderate injuries. but none required hospital treatment.
Nitric acid is a corrosive acid capable of causing severe chemical burns.
If inhaled, health risks include corrosion of mucous membranes, delayed pulmonary edema, and even death.
The Fenz spokesman said motorists should avoid the area and police are assisting with traffic control.
The premises is believed to be Owens Transport yard but branch manager Nick Max declined to comment when contacted.