You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Two students at AUT's cooking school were being treated after the oven they were using exploded during class this morning.
St John paramedics treated the girls for minor facial burn injuries after the explosion, about 9.20am at the university's city campus on Wellesley St.
Auckland City senior station officer Phil Grace said students in the cooking school were cooking on gas hobs when an oven below filled with gas and ignited.
"It caused the oven door to blow open and a bit of a gas explosion.
"Two female students got mild to moderate facial burns."
St John ambulance staff were quickly on the scene.
The two girls were "a bit traumatised" but should be okay, he said.
The rest of the class were also shaken up.
"I think they all got a big fright. A loud bang like that does tend to put you on edge."