Govt not considering quake public holiday

The Government is not considering a public holiday for Cantabrians to mark the anniversary of last year's earthquake.

There have been reports that Cabinet would make a decision this month on whether to introduce a regional holiday to commemorate the February 22 quake in which 182 people died.

However, a spokesman for duty minister Tony Ryall said today that the issue was not on the Cabinet agenda, and the Government was not considering it.

Christchurch City Council yesterday said a memorial service to be held at North Hagley Park on February 22 .

The Christchurch Earthquake Awards will follow the service.

 

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg