Hotel evacuated after gas leak

More than 100 people were evacuated from a Nelson hotel overnight after a gas leak.

Emergency services were called to the Rutherford Hotel on Nile Street about 11.30pm after receiving reports of smoke in the building's gymnasium, southern fire communications shift manager Andrew Norris said.

"When we got down there, we discovered it wasn't smoke, they've actually had a gas leak or a leak of a refrigeration gas in the premises."

Gas filled the gymnasium and bar area.

As a precaution, the 98 guests were evacuated, Mr Norris said.

"Four staff were exposed to the gas - they've been checked by ambulance and found to be okay."

Fire crews in full Hazmat gear found the leak and sealed it.

Guests were allowed back into the building about 2pm after it had been fully ventilated, Mr Norris said.

No other buildings in the area were affected.

It was not yet known what caused the leak.

- Rebecca Quilliam of APNZ

Add a Comment