Man accused of murdering Auckland police officer named

Constable Matthew Hunt. Photo: Supplied
Constable Matthew Hunt. Photo: Supplied
The man accused of murdering Constable Matthew Hunt in Auckland can now be named after a bid for continued name suppression was abandoned today.

He is 24-year-old Eli Bob Sauni Epiha.

Hunt was allegedly murdered during a routine traffic stop on Reynella Drive in Massey on June 19.

Epiha is charged with murdering Hunt, attempting to murder another police officer and wounding a member of the public when he crashed his vehicle trying to evade the patrol car.

Police have also charged Natalie Bracken with being an accessory after the fact of Hunt's murder, assisting the accused killer by obtaining a car and driving him away from the scene.

Epiha and Bracken have pleaded not guilty to their respective charges.

Specific details of the alleged murder and the aftermath have been suppressed.

Epiha was granted interim name suppression at his first appearance in the Waitakere District Court on June 20.

Two weeks later he sought to extend that suppression when he appeared in the High Court at Auckland before Justice Simon Moore.

The matter was then referred to Justice Geoffrey Venning for consideration.

Ongoing suppression was opposed by the Herald.

On July 31, after hearing lenghty submissions from the defence, Crown and media lawyer Robert Stewart, Justice Venning refused to grant further name suppression.

The content and detail of those submissions are suppressed, as well as the names and information of people who supported Epiha's name being suppressed.

Following Justice Venning's rejection, Epiha still could not be named because his lawyers indicated there would be Court of Appeal action to keep his name a secret.

That appeal has now been abandoned.

Epiha, a concrete worker from South Auckland, remains in custody awaiting his next court appearance.

Epiha and Bracken will go on trial in July next year.

Hunt, whose lifelong dream was to be a police officer, was farewelled at a funeral at Eden Park on July 9.

The other officer injured in the shooting spent several days in hospital and is now recovering at home.

He will remain off work for some time.

His name is suppressed, as is the name of the civilian who was injured.

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter