Man in court over alleged isolation hotel escape, supermarket visit

The Stamford Plaza Hotel in Auckland where a man escaped managed isolation earlier this month....
The Stamford Plaza Hotel in Auckland where a man escaped managed isolation earlier. Photo: NZ Herald
A man who tested positive for Covid-19 after allegedly absconding from isolation to visit a central Auckland supermarket has appeared in court for the first time.

Davinder Singh today appeared in the Auckland District Court to face charges over the incident on July 9.

The 32-year-old arrived in New Zealand from India on July 3 and went straight into managed isolation at the Stamford Plaza Hotel.

Five-days later he is alleged to have left the hotel without permission and gone to visit a Countdown Supermarket on Victoria St West in Central Auckland.

Authorities said he later tested positive for Covid-19.

Singh, who appeared before Judge Ajit Swaran Singh, was released on bail and ordered to reappear later in the month where he will enter his pleas to the charge.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter