You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
A West Auckland man accused of a New Year's Day attack and attempted abduction of a 6-year-old girl has appeared in court today, where he was granted temporary name suppression.
The man entered no pleas to one charge each of kidnapping and assault with intent to commit sexual violation on the girl at the Glendene Reserve on the evening of January 1.
In the Waitakere District Court, Judge Jonathan Moses said the man's name suppression, imposed because of possible identification issues, will be discussed at his next appearance in February.
Police did not oppose defence lawyer Lester Cordwell's suppression application.
Mr Cordwell did not make a bail application and the man will stay in custody.
Police have said the alleged offender was tracked down after information was received following a public appeal.
"Because the incident is now before the courts we're limited as to what we can say, but I can tell you that the family of the victim were very relieved to hear this news, and we're grateful for the help we received from both the public and the media," said Detective Sergeant Peter Litherland, of Waitakere Police, yesterday.
Earlier, Mr Litherland said the child, who required hospital treatment for scratches, was recovering well.
The girl had been playing with two other children when the assault allegedly happened.
Police said the children were approached by a man who struck up a conversation with them, but when the children began to walk away from him he grabbed the girl and carried her further into the park.
- Jimmy Ellingham of APNZ