You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
A 42-year-old man arrested after the weekend shooting death of Douglas Witeri at a Gisborne house has been charged with his murder.
The accused has been remanded by consent to appear in the High Court at Gisborne on May 16, when interim suppression of his name will lapse.
Police said Douglas Deb-Den Witeri, 39, died from a gunshot wound to his head in Gisborne Hospital late on Sunday night.
Police and ambulance officers had been called to a Kowhai Street house in Elgin at 2.40am the same day.
The accused was arrested at a Harris Street, Kaiti house that day and held on a charge of assault.
Police then said a more appropriate charge would be laid today.