You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Stewart Island is Covid-19 free, the Southern District Health Board confirmed last evening.
It follows a scare earlier this week after a child returned a weak positive test before overseas travel.
The Health Ministry yesterday afternoon said household contacts had tested negative.
The DHB last evening said the result was not due to Covid-19 and put it down to a case of rhinovirus that causes cold and flu symptoms.
The DHB said testing of the child’s family returned negative results, as did tests on the wider community.
Between Thursday and yesterday 195 swabs were taken.
Although further results were still to come, the DHB said all signs were there was no Covid-19 outbreak on the island.
The DHB is now contacting all those who have been isolating at home.
The Ministry of Health said on Thursday that a child-care centre would close for the rest of the week and possible local contacts of the child and their family were being asked to isolate.
One new case in MIQ
There was one new Covid-19 case in Managed Isolation Quarantine yesterday, and none in the community.
The new case in MIQ yesterday came from Spain, via the UAE, and tested positive on day five.
Test results for the 12 people involved in managed isolation breaches at the Crowne Plaza Auckland on Sunday have come back negative.
The ministry reiterated warnings that anyone at one of the 160 places of interest in Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales cannot travel to New Zealand within 14 days of exposure.
— additional reporting Hawke’s Bay Today