'Overwhelmed by support'

Whanganui District Health Board has now offered help to members of the public who witnessed the...
Whanganui District Health Board has now offered help to members of the public who witnessed the incident. Photo NZME.
The Whanganui District Health Board has extended its condolences to the family of the toddler who died on the grounds of Wanganui Hospital a week ago.

Inquiries are continuing into the death and the investigation was expected to take some time.

The woman was believed to have accidentally left him in her car last Friday morning under the mistaken belief she had dropped him off at daycare.

It was not until that afternoon that she realised the toddler was in the car, which had been parked in the hospital carpark in the 26C summer heat.

A witness had described how the woman collapsed and had to be pushed through the hospital in a wheelchair, "clutching her chest and screaming", after the discovery.

Whanganui District Health Board has offered help to members of the public who witnessed the incident, saying anyone who felt like they needed support was welcome to get in touch.

Yesterday, several sources said the boy's father was overseas when the tragedy happened.

- NZME.

 

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter