You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
A man left fighting for his life with severe head injuries after an assault at a party following the Auckland Nines is awake and has spoken to police.
The 23-year-old was taken to hospital critically ill after he was attacked at a Bellwood Ave, Mt Eden, property about 8.15pm on Saturday.
He had been at the Nines with his brother, and the pair had gone to the party near Eden Park after the tournament. An off-duty police officer was also a guest at the party but was not involved in the fracas.
Police revealed last night the 23-year-old's condition had improved dramatically.
"He's awake and has spoken with medical staff, his family and police investigating the circumstances of his assault," said spokeswoman Noreen Hegarty.
"Officers believe they've identified all partygoers and have taken statements off several but not all of them. The group of up to 50 invited guests or residents present ... are employed by a range of organisations in a range of occupations."
Ms Hegarty said no arrests had been made yet.
The New Zealand Herald has learned the assault may have been recorded, and police want to speak to anyone who has footage.
A woman working at Eden Park on Saturday finished her shift and went outside to wait for her ride home. "I heard the fight break out and walked down to see what was happening," she said. "There was a boy there who had worked in the same unit as me ... He was standing there recording it on his mobile phone."
The victim's family were not ready to speak about the assault yesterday.
- Anna Leask of the New Zealand Herald