Woman stabbed to death 'completely selfless'

A woman stabbed to death with her daughter in her West Auckland home has been described as ‘‘completely selfless" because of her dedicated work in the local community.

Farhat Rana Malik - known to her friends and colleagues as Rana - was involved in several community groups in the Ranui and wider West Auckland region.

Police did not reveal their identities, but friends confirmed to the Herald that Ms Malik, in her 50s, and a daughter were found dead by police at the Pooks Rd property, about 10am yesterday.

Ms Malik's bus driver husband Ishrat Malik, known as Mike, lived at the house and the couple had two other children.

A neighbour who did not want to be named said he saw a man being taken away by police.

‘‘I came downstairs and there were police all over the road and about three ambulance staff.

‘‘The guy was in the back of the car wearing handcuffs and speaking to the police and ambulance staff who were maybe treating him, too."

Former president of the Waitakere Ethnic Board and friend Ann Degia-Pala said news of the deaths had come as a huge shock.

‘‘It's a difficult time for many friends. [Rana] was known to many people in the community.

‘‘I met her some 10 years ago ... Both Rana and her husband were members of the board."

Mrs Degia-Pala cried as she spoke about a woman who she described as being ‘‘completely selfless".

Ms Malik, of Pakistani descent, was connected to the Ranui Action Project - which organises community events - and was also a member of the Waitakere Ethnic Board and the Pakistan Association of NZ.

Another family friend, the Rev Amail Habib , said he and his wife had met Ms Malik for lunch last week.

Mr Habib said their friend had revealed that she had not been living at home for some time.

‘‘But we dropped her home at the house in Ranui. She was a very good friend of ours. She was a wonderful person.

‘‘She loved her family and we were very happy to meet her and spend time with her."

Detective Inspector Greg Cramer said a 55-year-old man, who was known to the victims, made a 111 call to police shortly after 10am, and was at the scene when police arrived.

Mr Cramer said the man was helping with inquiries and police were not seeking anyone else over the deaths.


Add a Comment