Anzac Day security boosted in Sydney

Crowds along Elizabeth St during the Anzac Day parade last year.
Crowds along Elizabeth St during the Anzac Day parade last year.
Beefed-up security measures including crowd control, bag checks and new vehicle blockers will be deployed across Sydney for this year's Anzac Day commemorations.


Tens of thousands of people are expected to attend Anzac Day events across the Australian city on Wednesday, with NSW Counter Terrorism Minister David Elliott saying there was no specific threat and the measures were in place to ensure the community felt safe.

"The Anzac Day march covers a significant part of the Sydney CBD attracting thousands of people and increased security measures need to be in place to ensure the safety of both marchers and spectators," Mr Elliott said today.

The new vehicle blockers are being trialled for major events like Anzac Day and at other locations across Sydney's CBD as part of the NSW government's commitment to public protection, Mr Elliott says.

Crowds attending Anzac Day events in the city are being told to plan their trip and allow extra time for bag checks.

People were urged to avoid driving and instead use the additional public transport services with extensive road closures in place from 2.30am to 4pm.
 

Add a Comment

drivesouth-pow-hybrid.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter