N Korea sentences US man to 8 years of hard labour

North Korea says it has sentenced an American man to eight years' hard labour for entering the country illegally and unspecified hostile acts.

The North's official Korean Central News Agency said in a brief dispatch on Wednesday that Aijalon Mahli Gomes acknowledged his wrongdoing during a court ruling on Tuesday.

North Korea announced last month that it had arrested Gomes for entering the country illegally.

Gomes is from Boston.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter