Neil Young sues Trump re-election campaign

Neil Young. Photo: Reuters
Neil Young. Photo: Reuters
Musician Neil Young has sued US President Donald Trump's re-election campaign, accusing it of copyright infringement for playing the rocker's songs without permission.

In a complaint filed in US District Court in Manhattan, Young objected to the playing of "Rockin' in the Free World" and "Devil's Sidewalk" numerous times at rallies and political events, including a June 20 rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Young said he has complained about Trump's use of his songs since 2015, and that the campaign has "willfully" ignored him despite lacking a licence. He had also objected when Trump played his music while visiting Mount Rushmore on July 3.

"This complaint is not intended to disrespect the rights and opinions of American citizens, who are free to support the candidate of their choosing," Young's lawyers said in the complaint. "However, Plaintiff in good conscience cannot allow his music to be used as a 'theme song' for a divisive, un-American campaign of ignorance and hate."

The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Young is seeking damages of up to $US150,000 per infringement.

Born in Canada and now also a US citizen, Young (74) was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist in 1995, and as part of Buffalo Springfield in 1997.

It is common for musicians to oppose politicians' alleged unauthorized use or invocation of their music.

In a prominent early case, Bruce Springsteen objected in 1984, soon after the release of his blockbuster album "Born in the U.S.A.," when then-US President Ronald Reagan invoked his name during his re-election campaign.

Last month, dozens of artists including Aerosmith, Rosanne Cash, Green Day, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, Elton John, Linkin Park, Lorde, Pearl Jam and Sia joined an open letter calling on politicians to obtain permission before playing their music at campaign and political events. 

Comments

Private Property. Not a concept understood by the Right.

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter