Trump 'not surprised' by Weinstein allegations

Donald Trump
Donald Trump
President Donald Trump, whose presidential campaign was jolted a year ago by the release of a recording in which he boasted about groping women, said on Saturday (local time) he was not surprised by sexual harassment allegations against media mogul Harvey Weinstein.

The Oscar-winning movie producer said he was taking a leave of absence from his company and seeking therapy after the New York Times reported he had reached eight previously undisclosed settlements with women who made allegations of sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact.

"I've known Harvey Weinstein for a long time. I'm not at all surprised to see it," Trump told reporters at the White House.

Trump faced resounding criticism from Republicans and Democrats alike after the release of a 2005 recording from NBC's Access Hollywood in which he talked in vulgar terms about grabbing women by the genitals and trying to have sex with an unidentified married woman.

The recording was released a year ago. Asked about that by a reporter on Saturday, Trump said: "That's just locker room."

As a candidate, Trump at one point brushed off the recording as "locker room banter" but also apologised for making the remarks.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter