Boating accident lands yachtsmen in deep water

An unpleasant and rather dangerous experience befell a party of local yachtsmen late on Sunday afternoon. The Eileen left Broad Bay about a quarter to 5, and was proceeding homeward alone. The wind was strong and gusty, and there was a considerable sea on.

When off Grassy Point she got a stiff puff, and, before she could recover, a second sent her over, throwing the party, seven all told, into the water. Fortunately all went clear, and two who could not swim were assisted back to the craft, which continued, for a while, to float fairly high, though gradually settling deeper into the water.

The accident was seen from the shore, but though two dinghies and the motor launches Marguerita and Inishfree set off at once, it was half an hour before the party were reached, and they were then in a pitiable plight.

The necessary assistance, however, was forthcoming, and it is understood that none of those who were on board is much the worse for his immersion.

In dealing with an infectious disease such as tuberculosis in a community like that of New Zealand the first condition of success lies in the harmonious working of an enlightened public opinion and an efficient system of scientific administration.

In devoting a large portion of the Otago Witness, published on Wednesday, to the subject, it is hoped that something will be done towards the spread of knowledge as to the causes of consumption, most of them preventible, and also towards showing what is being done for the treatment of those who are suffering from the disease in New Zealand and elsewhere, what may be done in the way of the removal of the unhealthy conditions by the public themselves as the health authorities, and, as far as possible, help those who are directly engaged in the "Fight against the White Plague."

To enable this work to be carried out, the members of the local branch of the British Medical Association, acting up to the best traditions of the profession that it is their duty not only to treat disease, but to prevent it, appointed an Editorial Committee to arrange and provide suitable matter.

The public may therefore be assured that, subject to the limitation of human knowledge, the presentation of the subject is authoritative.

Our Auckland correspondent states that since the opening of the Auckland wireless station some splendid work has been accomplished by the operators, and it is not an uncommon thing for the station to be in communication with vessels as far away as the Australian Coast and the South Sea islands, while the Suva and Pennant Hills stations are clearly heard nightly.

Some good work was accomplished on Friday, when the Auckland operator easily got into communication with the Union Company's steamer Atua, bound from Auckland to the islands, the vessel being spoken to at a distance of over 1000 miles. The Atua advised that she would reach Tonga at noon on Saturday.

The geysers at Rotorua have been unusually active of late (says our Auckland correspondent), the climax being reached on Friday afternoon, when Pohutu gave a fine exhibition, which lasted for nearly three hours. A magnificent movement was also made by the Cauldron, which rose to a height of about 20ft. Pohutu was active on Thursday morning, when it played for about four hours, and in the afternoon it was active for about 20 minutes.

- ODT, 12.11.1912


Add a Comment