Commercial building

A valuable fruit-growing area in Central Otago: Fruitlands, nine miles from Alexandra, viewed...
A valuable fruit-growing area in Central Otago: Fruitlands, nine miles from Alexandra, viewed from Bald Hill. - Otago Witness,13.2.1918.
The spirit of enterprise that has marked the career of many present day firms of long standing in Dunedin is also manifest in firms of recent formation.

It was largely owing to that spirit that Dunedin was placed in the commercial forefront in New Zealand years ago, and its manifestation in more than one direction at present, even during war conditions, is an evidence that the position the city held in that respect in former times may yet return to it. The latest instance of enterprise is to be found in connection with the firm of Rutherfords (Ltd.), which has entered into a contract with Messrs Fletcher Bros. to build for it a large and commodious brick building at the corner of Manse street and High street to meet the requirements of its increasing business. The present building, which is one of the landmarks of early Dunedin, is to be removed next week, and a week later a commencement will be made with the erection of an up-to-date warehouse in brick, with the main entrance from Manse street. There will be two storeys and a basement at present, with provision for additional flooring space on top as it may be required. The plans show that the facades are to be finished in white cement and red brick, and judging by other buildings of the kind, the new premises will present an imposing appearance in their commanding position. The interior, which is 66ft square on each floor, will be used for show rooms and work rooms. The quantity of glass required for the many large windows is so great that to fill the order, very serious inroads must be made upon the already short supplies in the city. The warehouse is expected to be ready for occupation in four months. Messrs Mason and Wales are the architects.

Theatre opening

Monday's Daily Times notes that ``at 6.30 on Saturday evening a large crowd had gathered in Crawford street waiting for the doors of His Majesty's Theatre to open''; an indecency which, the reporter adds, ``would lead a stranger to conclude that we are about as far from `the last shilling' as we are from `the last man.' '' In the same issue we have the usual morning casualty list (served up day by day as a breakfast dish); we have a column headed ``Bowling''; and we have three columns heading ``Sporting,: - a record of the Forbury Trots. However much concerned with things as they ought to be, a newspaper must also present things as they are, its duty identical with the duty which Hamlet assigns to the drama and which the drama not seldom forgets - ``to hold, as `twere, the mirror up to Nature; to show virtue her own feature, scorn her own image, and the very age and body of the time his form and pressure.'' - Civis

Church-State clash

The London Daily Chronicle's Petrograd correspondent says: The Bolsheviks are now up against the Russian Orthodox Church. Prior to October the revolutionaries and the churches disregarded each other. The Church then elected a patriarch - namely, Tikhon, formerly the Metropolitan of Moscow - he replacing the ex-Czar as the Church's nominal head. The Bolsheviks began a propaganda ultimately aiming at the Church's complete extinction. An anti-religious agitation was started in the villages on the pretext of counteracting the anti-revolutionary activities of the priests, and the Church lands were declared to be common property. - ODT 9.2.1918.

Add a Comment