Fatal fire on the Tainui

Panoramic view of Green Island from Lookout Point. - Otago Witness, 19.9.1919
Panoramic view of Green Island from Lookout Point. - Otago Witness, 19.9.1919
News was received from Cheviot that the coastal steamer Tainui, 128 tons, which loaded a cargo of benzine at Lyttelton yesterday for Wanganui, was beached at 2 o'clock in the morning on fire near Gore Bay, off the Waiau River.

The vessel was owned by the New Zealand Refrigerating Company, had a crew of nine, and the master was J. C. Cowan, of Wanganui. The Tainui is a complete wreck. Eight lives were lost, only one member of the crew saved. The cook, W. Farrand, Wanganui, was the only member of the crew saved. Five bodies have been washed ashore. The Tainui went ashore about four miles north of Gore Bay. The fire is still raging, although the ship looks a mere skeleton of iron. Mr Farrand stated that the explosion occurred at 3 a.m., and blew out part of the front hatch. Immediately afterwards an attempt was made to launch the ship's lifeboat, but it was swamped and capsized immediately it reached the water. All the members of the crew were thrown into the water, and with the exception of the cook were drowned. He was saved by hanging on to the lifeboat until it was washed up on the beach about four miles from the scene of the explosion.

Thrashing for cycle thieves

Three lads, whose ages were 16, 15, and 14 years respectively, appeared before the Juvenile Court yesterday morning charged with the theft of a bicycle valued at £5, the property of John Henry Allen. Two of the boys pleaded guilty, and the eldest, who was represented by Mr Irwin, entered a plea of not guilty. Senior Sergeant Murray said that the three boys were mates. One of the boys met the other two one evening, and from their conversation understood that one of them was going to purchase a bicycle. He asked if they knew where they could get him a bicycle, and one of the other lads agreed to take a bicycle from a house where he had formerly boarded. The following evening two of them attempted to dispose of their spoil at a second-hand shop. The dealer became suspicious of their story as to how they had come into possession of the machine, and told them to come back the following day. He then informed the police, with the result that these proceedings were taken. After the three lads had told their separate stories, the magistrate (Mr H. Y. Widdowson) dismissed the charge against the eldest of the lads. His Worship said that his story had been corroborated to a certain extent. The lad who admitted taking the bicycle was admonished and discharged, and the youngest, who appeared to be the ringleader, was convicted and discharged, and both were ordered to receive a thrashing, to impress upon them that honesty was the best policy.

Mt Cook huts wanted

Wellington: A plea for more shelter huts on Mount Cook was made by Mr Lee in the House to-day. He said that the Hermitage needed enlargement, but the trouble to which he chiefly wished to draw attention was that with present facilities people had to do a very strenuous day to get any climbing at all. If a reasonable number of huts were erected it would be possible for many more people to climb Mount Cook on good days.

- ODT, 17.9.1919.

Add a Comment