Military honours for officer

Funeral at Port Chalmers of Military Cross recipient Capt John F.G. Smith.Otago Witness, 27.6.1922

At Port Chalmers on Sunday a military funeral was accorded the remains of the late Captain John F.G. Smith MC (Imperial Forces). Captain Smith  had taken a trip on the SS Tekoa for his health’s sake, but on arrival here it was found necessary to remove him to Dunedin Hospital, where,  following an operation, he succumbed. Captain McCrae, the officers and the crew of the Tekoa attended the funeral. Lieutenant Montgomery  represented the defence forces, and Staff Sergeant-major Napier sounded the Last Post. The cortege left the Garrison Hall at 3pm for the new cemetery.


Funds raised for electric light

The little church in Gladstone Road up on the top of Dalmore wore an air of bustle and importance on Wednesday night last, when town folks and hill folks met for a few hours of social intercourse. The church is a branch of St Stephen’s, North Dunedin, and a service is held in it every Sunday evening on one evening in the month by the minister (the Rev Fairlie Evans) and on other evenings by Mr Hogg and Mr Norton, divinity students.  A little time ago it was decided to put in the electric light, and that vast improvement has now been effected. As a goodly proportion of the cost  was unpaid, the people of the suburb co-operated in the holding of a very successful social, with the result that the proceeds more than covered  the amount of the debt, everything being provided free of cost. The church, artistically decorated, was full to overflowing, and a very creditable programme of songs and duets, recitations, and other elocutionary items was presented.


Healthy football test takings

The takings at the association football test match Australia v New Zealand at Carisbrook Ground on Saturday totalled over £700, which, it is safe  to say, constitutes a record for any association football match in New Zealand, and something Dunedin and Otago have reason to be proud of.  The midweek match, Otago v. Australia, produced a gate of over £200, making £900 for the two matches.

Even strangers to the soccer code seemed well satisfied with their investment, and this evidence of public interest and support makes it practically certain that a visit from a crack team from Home will eventuate before long. The visit of the team to Dunedin will conclude today, when they will leave for Ashburton by the 11.15am express. The members have made many friends during their week’s stay here, and local enthusiasts will retain pleasant recollections of their visit.


Glass lorry capsizes

A lorry loaded with glass capsized while going up Stafford street. The accident was caused by the horses’ feet slipping at the Princes street  crossing. The lorry capsized, and the two cases of glass, weighing about two tons, landed on the roadway with considerable force.

The shifting of the load owing to the horses being unable to hold their feet is understood to have been the cause of the accident. The glass was the property of Mr S.F. Aburn, and the horses and lorry, which were not damaged to any extent, belong to Messrs Spencer and Dunkley.

Fortunately, the driver escaped without injury.

ODT, 20.6.1922