ODT boss’s car wrecked

Otago Daily Times and Witness managing director Sir George Fenwick (second from right) and companions at Te Paki station on a motor tour of New Zealand's Far North. — Otago Witness, 23.5.1922

Kaitaia, April 24: Mr George Fenwick (Auckland) and father, Sir George Fenwick, left Te Paki Station, which has within its bounds Cape Maria Van Diemen and Te Reinga, yesterday morning between 10.30 and 11 o’clock. Williams, an experienced Auckland chauffeur, was driving the party, and debouched on the Ninety-mile  Beach shortly after 11 and the car, with a steady  run for more than half an hour, covering about 20 miles, had reached Risky Point, nearly opposite a piece of land  seaward known as Maunganui Bluff.

Between this land and the bluff  a sandy passage-way exists. This is completely covered at high tide.

As the car approached the point Williams considered he could safely negotiate the passage, but an incoming wave reached the magneto and stopped the engine.

The car at the same time dropped into a small depression and the tyres sank into the sand. The seriousness of the position was at once evident, as no timber was  available to chock up the car, and no means of haulage were procurable, the party being a number of miles from any homestead.

All the personal effects were saved from the car, which was soon partially submerged by the incoming tide, and became a total wreck. Williams left the camping  ground near the rocks in search for help and the party expected that this might be secured and would reach them before dark.


School roll of honour installed

A war memorial was unveiled at the Albany Street School yesterday. The tablet consists of a polished panel of red granite surrounded by marble, and is let into one of the projections of the front of the school. It was designed by Mr D.G. Mouat, an ex-pupil of the school, and was made and placed in position by H.S. Bingham and Co.  It is a very handsome piece of work. On the pediment arc the words: "These men gave their lives in the Great War" and on the sill beneath are the words "Faithful unto death." On the panel there are 62 names. As it is proposed to replace Albany Street School by a new school on another site, a more elaborate memorial, such as a column or arch, was out of the question.

His Worship the Mayor (Mr J.S. Douglas) presided over the ceremony, which was very impressive. The singing of the hymns was well led by the pupils of the school  under the conductorship of Mr A.G. Robertson; the devotional exercises were in the hands of the Revs Knowles Kempton and A.H. Wallace and speeches were delivered by Messrs C.E. Statham MP, James H. Wilkinson and the Rev Tulloch Yuille. They had the merit of being short and yet most earnest and to the point.


Special flag hoisted at school

The flag that flew on the Albany Street School mast yesterday has an interesting history. It was used in Gallipoli and afterwards flew at the base at Etaples during the  whole time the New Zealanders were there. It was then taken to Rouen to the demobilisation camp there and was used at the burial of the last New Zealand soldier  who was interred in France. On that occasion Bugler Napier sounded the Last Post. The flag belongs to Regimental Sergeant-major H. Jones.

ODT, 26.4.1922



UPA is responsible for Sir George's accident! Horton, all that Northern trash turning out tuppeny ha'penny rags.