Stewart Island deer problem

Mr Hamilton's threshing plant at work on a farm at South Hillend, Southland. - Otago Witness, 10...
Mr Hamilton's threshing plant at work on a farm at South Hillend, Southland. - Otago Witness, 10.7.1918.
At the monthly meeting of the Otago Institute, Dr Fulton dealt with the matter of red deer on Stewart Island. he said that these were increasing at a tremendous rate, and were proving destructive to the undergrowth on the island.

He pointed out that the Southland Acclimatisation Society was seeking to obtain permission to go on to Stewart Island for the purpose of shooting these deer. It was an extraordinary thing that this attempt should be made, as this was the only South Island sanctuary for birds and plants; or that deer should have been put there to destroy the plants, when there were millions of acres available for deer in the Wanaka, Nelson, and Marlborough districts.

There were already large numbers of deer in these districts, and recently the Acclimatisation Society had engaged people to destroy large number of deer which had become malformed.

It was incredible that the destruction of our sanctuary should be allowed. The only remedy was to get the authorities to have the deer wiped out as soon as possible.

Dr Benham said there were many birds and plants flourishing on Stewart Island which were extinct in other parts of the country. If sportsmen were permitted to go on to the island to shoot deer it was inevitable that they would destroy a number of birds. He was afraid the cure would be worse than the disease.

US river tragedy

New York, July 8: The Illinois River excursion steamer Columbia had aboard 663 passengers and a crew of 30 when she capsized, and it is estimated that from 65 to 100 perished. In a dense fog the vessel struck a sunken log in the river, commenced to sink immediately, and then capsized. She was a three-decked vessel.

The excursionists were dancing and singing when the accident occurred. A panic ensued in which many women and children were pushed overboard, while many others jumped. There was no time to use either lifebelts or boats. The shrieks of the survivors were heard on the shore, and rowing boats were launched and went to the rescue.

Kaikoura whaling

In his appeal before the First Canterbury Military Service Board, at Kaikoura on Thursday, James Johnston, whaler, stated that the nine whales caught by his party last season yielded 68 tuns of oil. Six whales had been caught so far this season and they were also turning out fairly well.

Tall order

The biggest arrest in one sense ever made in Wellington was effected on Friday by Sergeant Wade. the subject of the arrest was a man 6ft 8 1/2 in height. The charge on which he has been apprehended is that of stealing a set of harness at Waitotara.

Pilot training

The fine weather of the last few days enabled the flying staff at Sockburn to put the finishing touches to two more pupils in training, and during a visit to the aerodrome on Sunday Colonel Chaffey and Major Morrison were able to pass both pupils in their flying tests, very good ``tickets'' being taken.

The new pilots are: W.S Macpherson (Oamaru) and R. W. Dorset (Wellington). One hundred and six pupils have now ``ticketed'' at the school, and others are ready for their examination. - ODT, 10.7.1918


Add a Comment