Volunteers help returned soldiers

Port Chalmers resuming something like its pre-war shipping activity. The camouflaged steamer at...
Port Chalmers resuming something like its pre-war shipping activity. The camouflaged steamer at left is the Suevic, probably the largest steamer that has entered the port. The Remuera and Ruahine were also at the wharves. - Otago Witness, 12.2.1919.
The returned soldiers who left Dunedin on Tuesday morning for the south will have every reason to be pleased with the hearty reception accorded them on the way home, and the manner in which they were conveyed from Lovell's Flat to Balclutha.

The Defence Department communicated with Milton during Monday afternoon, and asked if any assistance could be given by private motor car owners to convey the men across the break.

Mr J. R. Wilson, of Milton, got in touch with Mr P. Boyd, Lovell's Flat, and then Balclutha residents were approached, with the result that in addition to the two motor lorries provided by the Defence Department, no fewer than 36 cars were waiting at Lovell's Flat to convey the boys through to Balclutha.

The arrangements were so complete, and everything was carried out so well that in less than 15 minutes every one of the 130 or 140 soldiers, was on the road, and, with fine weather, in good spirits, and contentment, and with no mishaps, all were safely landed at Balclutha by 11.15 a.m.

At Milton station that noble band of ladies who have, wet or fine, for months past always provided refreshments for returning drafts, were again in evidence, and provided a refreshing cup of tea and sandwiches, which were enjoyed by all.

At Balclutha the Mayor and citizens were on the alert, and the troops on arrival were welcomed heartily and were also given refreshments before proceeding on their journey.

Miscreants to be thrashed

Five lads, ranging in age from 15 to 17 years, were charged before Mr H. Y. Widowson, S.M., in the Juvenile Court yesterday morning with committing mischief by wilfully damaging a spring-cart and a set of harness to the extent of 10s. They all pleaded guilty.

Senior Sergeant Murray stated that an employee of Mr Croft, grocer, Forth street, found that the stable had been entered, the harness knotted, and filth deposited in the cart. On a later occasion he found a repetition of the same mischief. The police found that the defendants had been there, and when interviewed they admitted the fact.

The Rev. Mr Axelson informed the court that all the lads came from respectable families and were fairly well educated. The harness had not been damaged, and the act had apparently been intended as a practical joke.

Senior Sergeant Murray added that according to the police report the offenders belonged to a gang which should be broken up. The Magistrate announced that he would deal with the lads in a week's time, when he had the assurance they had been well thrashed.

High heels problematic

Before women could take reasonable exercise they would have to give up their absurd high-heeled boots, said Dr Truby King to the National Health Society, in London.

In the mental hospital to which he was attached, the first thing done on the arrival of a new woman patient was to guillotine her heels.

Flooding at Earnscleugh

The Dunstan Times states that Earnscleugh settlers had a rather anxious time last week, as the result of a very big flood in the Fraser. The river rose at an alarming rate, and soon overflowed its banks, spreading through orchards and paddocks to a depth of several feet.

- ODT, 6.1.1919.


Add a Comment