Alleged attacker held in custody

A man who was wanted by police in relation to a stabbing in Alexandra last week turned himself in and has appeared in court.

Police said the 28-year-old handed himself in at the Alexandra Police Station yesterday morning.

A 22-year-old man was flown to Dunedin Hospital in a serious condition after the attack about 11.30am on Wednesday.

Police said there was a confrontation between two men who knew each other, and they had also been involved in an incident earlier in the evening.

The man appeared in the Queenstown District Court yesterday afternoon and was remanded in custody to reappear at a later date.

Police said he had been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm along with a number of other charges in relation to previous violent offending.

‘‘The victim in the matter has been discharged from hospital and is recovering.’’

Police were appreciative of members of the public who assisted with the investigation.

 

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter