Toxic algae confirmed

Falls Dam PHOTO: STEPHEN JAQUIERY
Falls Dam PHOTO: STEPHEN JAQUIERY
The Otago Regional Council says testing has confirmed algae samples taken from Falls Dam at St Bathans on Monday are the potentially toxic cyanobacteria, blue-green algae (Anabaena lemmermannii).

The presence of the algae was confirmed yesterday and warning signs were put in place at the site.

Council spokesman Ryan Tippet advised humans and their dogs should keep out of the contaminated water, and avoid drinking or touching it.

"A general rule of thumb is that if the water is looking green, to stay out of it and avoid any contact with algal scum. If you have swum in water that is contaminated with toxic algae, rinse off with fresh water as soon as possible," he said.

"ORC encourages dog owners to familiarise themselves with toxic algae and know what to look for when exercising dogs in or around rivers and lakes."

Anyone who suspected they were experiencing a reaction due to contact with toxic algae should seek medical attention.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter