Rubbish fire fuelled by fireworks

Photo: Daniel Birchfield
Photo: Daniel Birchfield
An out-of-control rubbish fire in Oamaru fuelled by fireworks being thrown on it was quickly brought under control by firefighters last night.

One appliance from the Oamaru Volunteer Fire brigade was alerted to the scene about 5.30pm, after plumes of smoke were seen rising from a grass section at a residential property in Stoke St, across the road from Observatory Retirement Village.

The fire was well-involved by the time firefighters arrived, but took only a few minutes to extinguish.

Police were called to assist at the scene after  occupants at the property abused bystanders and firefighters as they arrived, before throwing fireworks on the fire.

Sergeant Blair Corlet, of Oamaru, said the property’s occupants "did not agree with the firefighters being on the property" and police were called as a precaution.

The occupants were spoken to by police.

A woman who saw the blaze from her home, who did not want to be named, said she saw smoke rising above the trees bordering the property before the fire started to spread.

"I thought ‘Wow, this is getting pretty big’," she said. 

Add a Comment

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter