Drunk driver left scene after rear-ending car

A chef who was highly intoxicated when he drove his car has been banned from driving for 18 months after failing to stop when he rear-ended another vehicle.

Daniel Mark Stobo (36), of Frankton, was sentenced by Judge John Brandts-Giesen in the Queenstown District Court on Monday after earlier admitting charges of drink-driving, careless driving and failing to stop after an accident.

Prosecuting Sergeant Ian Collin said Stobo was on Stanley St on December 21 last year, when he drove into the back of a car waiting to turn into Coronation Dr.

He drove off, with his wheels ''screeching'', but police found him a short time later, sitting in his car in Stanley St.

His breath-alcohol level was 1394mcg, more than five times the legal limit.

Members of the Australian family in the other car said in a statement they were pleased the defendant had hit them instead of a cyclist or pedestrian, because the outcome would have been ''remarkably different''.

On the drink-driving charge, Stobo was fined $1500, disqualified for 12 months, and sentenced to 12 months' supervision, to allow for assessment and any intervention for alcohol issues, as directed by the probation service.

For failing to stop, he was disqualified for a further six months, and for careless driving he was fined $350, $130 court costs and ordered to pay the victims $750 reparation.

Add a Comment