Charge against woman of making false sex claim dismissed

The case against a woman accused of making a false statement to police was dismissed by an Invercargill judge yesterday.

Defence counsel Roger Eagles confirmed after the trial in the Invercargill District Court yesterday that Judge Mark Callaghan had dismissed the case.

Mr Eagles said in a perjury case evidence could not be based on the uncorroborated testimony of one witness.

'Evidence must come from a secondary source. It could be supported by other witnesses or an item.''

The trial started last week when the defendant, who has name suppression, pleaded not guilty to a charge of making a false statement relating to an incident on May 14, 2015.

On that date, she said she was sexually assaulted at her home.

In her opening address, prosecutor Georgia Woodward, said the defendant tried to implicate her former husband by making a false allegation of rape to get full custody of the children and keep her visa to stay in New Zealand.

Ms Woodward said a year later, in August 2016, the defendant admitted she had made up the entire allegation after police found a ''number of contradictions'' between her claims and evidence.

the defence said the central allegation was true and the retraction was wrong.

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter