You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
A house in Albion St, Mataura, was extensively damaged by fire yesterday afternoon.
The male occupant of the house was outside mowing lawns when he heard the smoke alarm going off inside, Mataura Volunteer Fire Brigade station officer Mark Witham said.
''He went inside and there was smoke pouring from the laundry,'' Mr Witham said.
The man left the house and was not injured.
The back of the house was well involved when the Mataura Volunteer Fire Brigade arrived just after 2pm, he said.
''The south end is pretty well gone internally, structurally.''
The Gore Volunteer Fire Brigade was also called to the fire, the cause of which would be investigated, Mr Witham said.
- Rachael Kelly