You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Up to 10 hectares of pine forest were ablaze and smoke streamed up a hillside near Wanaka late yesterday afternoon.
A fire service spokesman Mau Barbara said the fire had been contained but crews remained at the scene to assess the damage and contain the residual fire.
"Roading contractors are returning for further road patrol due to the risk of rockfall.
"And it has been deemed suspicious due to fireworks."
The fire service was not able to say whether residents had been able to return to their homes.