You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Police have arrested and charged a 36-year-old man with failing to comply with a Covid-19 order after he allegedly travelled from Auckland to Wanaka over the past seven days.
The man allegedly travelled without an exemption from Auckland to Wellington on October 8, before continuing on to Wanaka on October 12, a police spokeswoman said.
He is due to appear in the Queenstown District Court on October 18.
Queenstown Lakes Mayor Jim Boult said travel restriction breaches involving the district were "becoming an epidemic", and it was not acceptable behaviour.
"We don't want people in our district who've broken the rules.
"They put our population in danger from a health perspective, and they endanger our already precarious financial position."
The incident is the latest in a series of Covid-19 restriction breaches in which people have entered the Queenstown-Lakes district.
A man travelled from Whangarei to Queenstown via Wellington at the weekend without the correct documentation.
The man is self-isolating in Queenstown while police investigate his actions.
Other prominent cases have included Auckland couple William Willis and Hannah Rawnsley who travelled to a holiday home in Wanaka last month, a Dunedin forest worker who went jet-boating near Wanaka with friends in August, and a police investigation into whether an Auckland woman illegally travelled to Queenstown in September.