Cricket: Bucknor to miss Aussie series over travel issue

Controversial umpire Steve Bucknor's surprise return to Australia has been cancelled because of what the International Cricket Council (ICC) describes as "travel difficulties".

South Africa's Rudi Koertzen will take Bucknor's place in Thursday's first Test between Australia and New Zealand in Brisbane and the second Test in Adelaide.

Jamaica's Bucknor was dropped by the ICC for the third Test between Australia and India in Perth in January this year after his poor performance in the tense second Test in Sydney.

Indian officials were furious after their spin bowler Harbhajan Singh was handed a three-Test ban for racially abusing Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds. Harbhajan's ban was later changed to a fine for a downgraded charge of using abusive and insulting language.

With Bucknor facing criticism for some poor decisions during the Sydney Test, India started making noises about quitting their Australian tour and going home.

The ICC denied at the time that their decision to remove the out-of-form Bucknor from the Perth Test was due to pressure from Indian officials.

In a surprise move last week, the ICC had announced the 62-year-old Bucknor would partner fellow West Indian Billy Doctrove in Australia's series against the Kiwis.

But the ICC said in a statement on Tuesday: "Due to travel difficulties, Steve Bucknor ... will not be officiating in the two-match series between Australia and New Zealand due to begin on 20 November.

"He will be replaced by Rudi Koertzen ... for both Tests." 

 

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter