You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The man who took a spectacular but disputed catch in the stands during Friday's epic Black Caps performance won't win a share of the Catch a Million jackpot, a brewery confirmed today.
Jason Bragg stunned onlookers when he reached out to catch a Brendon McCullum six belted into the Wellington Regional Stadium stands during New Zealand's win over England.
Reviewing the footage on Friday, Tui said Mr Bragg "fumbled" and used one hand to assist the other -- meaning he missed out on a share on the one-handed catch prize pool.
Just like cricketers on the field during the World Cup, Mr Bragg was asking for the decision to be reviewed. He and some others in the stadium could've sworn he caught the ball one-handed.
"It's just about clarification really. There's no rush," Mr Bragg said this morning.
"Brendon McCullum was clean bowled and he went upstairs, just to check and make sure it was okay. And he was pretty cleanly bowled but he went upstairs. I'm not really doing anything different, I don't think."
But later this morning, Tui said it stood by the decision made three days ago.
"We have been back in touch with Jason, via email, to affirm our decision not to award the catch," spokesman Simon Smith said.
The brewery also said it would apologise for sending out a statement in which a direct quote Mr Bragg never made was incorrectly attributed to him.
But the brewery stood by its assertion Mr Bragg "expressed disappointment at not taking a valid catch" on Friday.
Mr Bragg earlier this morning said the Catch a Million was an "awesome campaign" and he would accept the decision if it was ultimately proved he didn't take a clean one-handed catch.
It was not yet clear if he had seen the email Tui sent him today finalising its decision.
Tui has offered Mr Bragg some complimentary beer and a helicopter trio to its Mangatainoka brewery in the Tararua district.