Caversham keeps hold of shield

Caversham’s Aaron Corkhill cops an elbow from Roslyn’s Nick Treadwell during their premier club...
Caversham’s Aaron Corkhill cops an elbow from Roslyn’s Nick Treadwell during their premier club football game at Tonga Park on Saturday. Corkhill had to leave the field concussed. Photo: Kim Lloyd
Caversham defended the Blair Davidson Shield at its old home ground  on Saturday as its match was transferred to Tonga Park.

It came from behind to claim a 2-2 draw against Roslyn Wakari.

The opening half was a physical and tight affair. Caversham centre back Aaron Corkhill made a diving block on the line to deny Tennessee Kinghorn from opening the scoring in the early exchanges. 

Corkhill was forced to leave the field soon after with concussion after copping an  elbow from Roslyn’s Nick Treadwell when both competed in  an aerial duel. Caversham forced  several corners and created some half-chances, but  referee Jack Henderson waved  away Caversham’s penalty appeals. Roslyn looked dangerous on the counter but neither team was able to convert and it was 0-0 at the break.

Roslyn took the lead in the second half after Ben O’Farrell’s corner found Luke Clissold on the edge of the box. His

shot was judged to have hit a prone Caversham player’s hand. Treadwell blasted the penalty into the right-hand side netting.

Ten minutes later, Treadwell made it 2-0, again from the spot,  after Kinghorn was taken down in the box. Caversham responded instantly from the kickoff, going down the right-hand side. 

Ben Wade tapped  in at the far post off a Ben Kiore cross. Another lapse in concentration cost Roslyn again as a misplaced pass found Kiore, who drove into the box and drew a penalty despite Roslyn’s protests that Kristian Gibson’s sliding tackle had taken the ball. Michael Hogan stepped up to make it 2-2 with 15 minutes to go and Caversham held on to retain the shield.

Meanwhile, Northern and University played out a thrilling 2-2 draw.

Caleb Roberts scored in the 91st minute to tie the scores for University, as he pounced on a loose ball after a free kick was not cleared.

That came just three minutes after Ryan Hawken had seemed to give Northern a win, when he put it ahead 2-1.

Earlier, youngster Harry Fraser scored his fourth goal in three games to give Northern the lead in the 32nd minute.

Dominic Scahill then equalised from the penalty spot in the 72nd minute for University.

Green Island  took its chances better as it claimed a 5-1 win over Mosgiel in an open game.

Mosgiel could not convert its early chances, before Tom Milton found Lewis Wall to put Green Island one up.

Milton scored the second himself and  Joe Carvell made it three just after the break.

Bryn Sinclair and Matt Brazier added another two, before Cody Brook got one back for Mosgiel.

- Neville Watson

Add a Comment