Last-gasp kick secures draw

Queenstown's Thomas Mills prodded the ball in to snatch a last-gasp 2-2 draw with Mosgiel in a southern premier league match on Saturday.

Queenstown was determined to not let Mosgiel clinch the title on its home pitch.

A cagey opening period saw both teams probing without creating too many clear changes.

Out of nothing, Ash Melladay-Naidu unleashed an absolute rocket of a shot from 32m out that, despite Levi Waddington's full-length dive, put the home side up 1-0.

Mosgiel felt it had equalised on 25 minutes but Fernando Montado's effort was ruled out for offside.

At halftime, Mosgiel introduced Aiden Barbour-Ryan and the more attack-minded formation paid off.

Cam Anderson was bundled over in the box on 57 minutes and Liam Dungey scored the resultant penalty.

Mosgiel's Charlie Gruppelaar went on a scintillating run. His low driven cross was side-footed home by Barbour-Ryan on 67 minutes.

With time nearly up, Queenstown was awarded a defensive free kick deep in its own half and it launched forward into Mosgiel's penalty box, where Mills got the equaliser.

Roslyn Wakari captain Luke Clissold scored in added time to seal a 2-1 victory against Green Island at Ellis Park.

Green Island opened the scoring within two minutes. Oscar McCallion latched on to a loose ball in the box after Roslyn failed to deal with a long free kick.

Roslyn responded seven minutes later through Tennessee Kinghorn. The striker beat his man and opened up with his right foot, to place the ball in the top right corner.

The score stayed deadlocked until Clissold found space on the edge of the box and drove the ball into the bottom left corner for the victory.

Caversham closed the gap on the top three with a 1-0 win against Wanaka.

It scored in the third minute from an innocuous free kick from halfway. Keeper Britton Dowling misjudged it and the ball slipped through his grasp into the net.

Goal scorer Ben Hadida was as surprised as anyone, as he had turned away to reposition for the next stage of play.

To Dowling's credit, he went on to have a very good game and produced three outstanding saves.

Dunedin Technical brushed aside Northern 7-1 at Forrester Park.

Northern has been able to compete with most teams for the first half, but this season it is not able to sustain it for the full 90 minutes.

It trailed 2-1 at the break and was not able to repel Technical's half-time tactical change.

Coach Paul Phillips introduced Daniel Kibby. With an improvement in speed and better shape in the midfield, Technical scored five unanswered goals.

 - Neville Watson 

Add a Comment