Otago's premier league teams all advance in Chatham Cup

Caversham's Connor Neil (in red) contests the ball with Northern Hearts player Sullivan Martin in...
Caversham's Connor Neil (in red) contests the ball with Northern Hearts player Sullivan Martin in their Chatham Cup match at Tonga Park on Saturday. Sliding in to get involved is Northern's Ethan Robinson, while Simon Ward (No12) also looks on. Caversham won 7-0. PHOTO: LINDA ROBERTSON
Premier league teams all advanced past their lower league opposition in the opening round of the Chatham Cup.

There was almost an upset in Wanaka, though.

Geraldine's German player Araujo Copette scored after only four minutes, when he beat the offside trap, despite Wanaka's appeals.

With halftime approaching, Geraldine went 2-0 ahead when Copette scored again.

But the home side rallied with three second-half goals.

Barry Grehan floated in a free kick and Steve Pleskun rose high to nod it in about 10 minutes into the second spell.

The equaliser came with only five minutes left, when Grehan drove forward and his cross rebounded to Weston Bell, who tapped home.

Both teams went for the winner and it was Pleskun who managed to squeeze the ball into the corner, to give Wanaka a 3-2 win.

Queenstown Rovers needed extra time to defeat Northern at home.

It led 2-0 but Northern replied through Jan Kumar and Jonny Woodhall, who slotted a penalty in the 80th minute.

But in the opening period of extra time Quinn McDonald drove into the box and drew a foul.

Carlos Hermann slotted the goal and Queenstown held on to win.

Green Island started brightly against Mosgiel, but was well-beaten 6-2.

After weathering the storm, the home side clicked into gear and scored through Alex Cox, who powered home a header from a Cam Anderson corner in the 22nd minute.

Cox bagged a brace in the second half to complete a hat trick.

In Timaru, Roslyn-Wakari withstood some early pressure from Thistle and pulled away to win 6-0.

Dunedin Technical was too strong for Old Boys in Invercargill. George McCall banged in two goals in a 5-1 win.

At Tonga Park, Caversham defeated Northern Hearts from Timaru 7-0.

Hearts put up a gallant performance but Caversham's ability to capitalise on errors and some clinical build-up play and finishing convincingly won it the game.

University travelled to Invercargill and beat Queen's Park 2-0.

But it took an hour before leading marksman Dominic Scahill opened the scoring.

Tim O'Farrell got the second in the 73rd minute.

West End defeated Gore Wanders 4-3 on penalties after the sides were locked 3-3 after extra time in Gore.

In the Kate Sheppard Cup women's competition, University was too strong for Mosgiel, winning 10-0.

Erin Roxburgh scored a hat trick and Beth Elliot and Meike van der Meer both got braces.

A hat trick for Queenstown's Amy Hislop was not enough to stop Roslyn winning 4-3, in a classic that had two red cards and a dramatic injury-time winner.

Roslyn's Una Madden came off the bench with seven minutes left to play and drilled a 91st-minute winner.

 - Neville Watson 

Add a Comment