Plenty to play for in Championship

Oliver Colloty. Photo: Linda Robertson
Oliver Colloty. Photo: Linda Robertson
The threat of relegation leaves plenty for the remaining seven teams in the Southern Football Championship.

While the premiership's top three teams - Mosgiel, Varsity and Caversham - await the start of the South Island league, the championship kicked off on Saturday.

Green Island travelled to Invercargill and - despite only having a wafer-thin squad - carried on its strong form with a 4-2 victory over Southland.

Liam Martin put Southland up with 16 minutes gone, before coach Greig Evans was forced into an early change when Harry Milligan had to be substituted.

Green Island seized its chance and Oscar McCallion fired in a quick brace on 26 and 29 minutes.

Blake Porteous made it 3-1 two minutes after halftime.

Nobuhiro Kojima pulled one back with 30 minutes to play, but Matt Brazier added a fourth for Green Island to secure victory.

At Forrester Park, Roslyn Wakari claimed a comprehensive 4-0 win over Northern.

Josh Lucas opened the scoring on 15 minutes, after sustained early pressure from Roslyn.

He made a sharp near-post run and delicately redirected Oliver Colloty's in-swinging corner into the near post.

Lucas and Colloty were again involved in Roslyn's second goal on 19 minutes.

From a Colloty corner to the far post, Lucas headed back across goal, allowing Luke Clissold to claim his 10th goal for the season.

Roslyn veteran James Govan bagged a brace after coming on with 24 minutes to go.

The first came after he latched on to a loose ball in the box and smashed it home on 69 minutes, the second after an angled run on to a through ball.

Queenstown proved too strong for Dunedin Technical, which has had a coaching change after Paul Phillips had to return to the UK and assistant Seb Contreras stepped up.

A defensive mistake from Tech in the final minute of the first half allowed Quinn McDonald to open the scoring.

Queenstown profited from another error in the 65th minute, when Jake Johnson's deflected shot found the back of the net.

Jan Kumar scored Queenstown's final goal with 10 minutes left. From the edge of the box he cut inside the fullback and curled a delightful shot into the roof of the net.

The Christchurch teams in the Mainland League are still playing their second round matches to determine the five teams to face the top three from the southern region.

Cashmere Tech and Nelson Suburbs have qualified but the remaining places are yet to be determined.

Nomads and Coastal Spirit are third and fourth but Western, Ferrymead and Selwyn cannot be discounted.

 - Neville Watson 

Add a Comment