Dominant Island Park cements second place

Island Park has cemented second spot in the senior A metropolitan pennant series leading into the final week of round-robin play.

It delivered a dominant display against the Otago B52s at Waldronville on Saturday.

In mainly still conditions, Island Park had a royal chance to grab second place and set up a top-of-the-table clash against the Bombers in the final round.

Experienced duo Chris Snow and Michael Smith switched to the tail and recorded wins, while Matt Tautari returned at No2 after a week off to score impressively in 13 holes.

Park greenkeeper Michael Minty sealed the result with a win over Matt Weir on the 17th green, and Jarden Hammond played well at No1 to beat Will Young 2 and 1.

B52s No3 Tom Lee out-chipped Phil Bungard in a see-sawing affair, earning the B52s’ sole win in the 5-1 result.

At Taieri, the home side was looking to gain some ascendancy heading into a final-round sudden-death match but was ultimately tipped up 3.5-2.5 by Chisholm Links.

Matt Mercer continued his good form beating former professional Michael Weastell 2-up.

But the Links side recorded the next three wins through Brent Butler and brothers Kyle and Sean Geary, while Taieri No1 Hayden Robertson defeated the in-form Jason Pegler.

Lakes No2 Mark Andrews was in front against Mackenzie Gibson on the homeward nine and a draw looked likely.

But a turbulent couple of holes tipped the fixture on its head and Gibson took a 1-up lead on the 18th tee.

Despite the Links No2 losing the final hole to halve with Andrews, the result was already a foregone conclusion.

At St Clair, the home side and the Bombers were fired up after a social media post during the week.

St Clair No6 Parker Aluesi proved far too strong for Murray Edgar winning 6 and 5.

But St Clair’s winning chance evaporated when Bombers Tyrone Ratahi, Jason Hughes and Nick Borren claimed the next three games.

Conditions were blustery and good scoring proved difficult and a leveller.

St Clair’s Jacob Bellamy set up a grandstand finish, outplaying the undefeated Duncan Croudis on the 17th green, while Joseph Hancock stood 1-up on the 18th tee against Brandon Hodgson who was also undefeated.

But when Hodgson missed the green and failed to chip in, the match ended in a 3-3 draw.

 - Michael Minty

Add a Comment






Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter