Kings United outperforms Tainui to keep hold of Challenge Cup

Jordan Ward
Jordan Ward
Kings United held on to the Challenge Shield with a dominant 9-0 win over Tainui in the Dunedin premier men’s competition on Saturday.

Tainui was outperformed from the first whistle as Kings was clinical at both ends of the turf.

It was a rough day in goal for Ben Sinnamon, who could not catch a break as Kings camped in the attacking circle.

The Taieri Tuataras showed good connections across the turf to beat the Albany Alligators 3-0.

The weather had started to pack up, the rain making things difficult for both teams. Albany had a few fast-break opportunities but could not capitalise.

Jordan Ward was solid for the Tuataras in defence and showed his skill in getting the ball through to the midfield.

The two University teams, the Whales and the Panthers, faced off for bragging rights with the Whales coming out on top 4-0.

While the Whales looked comfortable in their play, they still faced patches of pressure from the Panthers.

Lachlan Colquhoun had a solid game in goal for the Whales.

Whales coach Josh Wypych was happy with the performance, but felt the score did not fully reflect the game.

In women’s hockey, the City Highlanders held on to beat Kings United 1-0.

Alisha Horne found herself under pressure in goal early from the City strikers.

City made its presence felt up the field and converted through Sarah Thomas.

Although the Highlanders had plenty more opportunities, they failed to get another goal.

Kings had a late flourish and almost got one back to force the game to shootouts but Ginny Wilson remained strong in goal for the Highlanders.

The Taieri Tigers survived a late charge from the University Stingrays to win 4-3.

Doubles to Ariana Mellish Temple and Louisa Collerton secured the win for the Tigers.

The Stingrays converted through Margy Hazelhurst, Holly Riddick and Ella Rogers.

The final game of the day was between the University Huskies and Momona, which the Huskies won 2-0. It would be safe to say it was a game both teams would rather forget as conditions made it challenging for all involved.

Momona held on to possession for quite some time but battled to get the ball in the back of the net.

Against the run of play, the Huskies scored through Iso Ng with less than eight minutes to go in the final quarter.

Things got worse for Momona after an unfortunate series of events led to the side going from an attacking penalty corner to defending one, and the Huskies get another goal on the board through Rose Parkinson.

Momona was stunned and could not get one back.\

 - Grace Milne

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter