Physed and Titans battle to 63-63 draw

Nothing could separate Physed A and South Pacific Titans A after an intense 60-minutes of netball.

With the top-of-the-table position at stake both teams came out fighting and played out a 63-63 draw.

South Pacific Titans put on three goals before Physed managed to get one on the board, closely followed by three more of their own.

There were some nerves from the players and three cautions handed out within the first 15 minutes, all for consistent breaking at the centre pass.

Both teams settled into a pattern of two or three goals before the other side would reply with a mini-run of its own and it was 16-16 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter brought about the injection of Georgia Heffernan at goal attack and Holly Munro at wing attack for Physed.

The game continued goal-for-goal until South Pacific goal keep Georgia Cassidy snaffled a rebound for her side which her shooters converted down the other end to go up by three.

South Pacific's defensive pressure was causing havoc for the Physed attacking end, causing a number of errors from a usually composed team.

While the connection between Sarah Boomer at goal shoot, and Heffernan seemed to be struggling, the combination of South Pacific's shooting end of Kelly Laurence and Christina Cotton was only getting better and South Pacific went into the long break up 35-29.

The third quarter saw some changes to both sides as Meleitia Tatupu came on at goal shoot for Physed and Taylor Thorne at goal keep for South Pacific.

Physed clawed its way back into the match after some classy turnovers in the midcourt to bring the score back to 42-42 with three-minutes left in the third stanza.

Thorne snatched several rebounds and another intercept to keep South Pacific ahead at the final break, 49-45.

After some messy moments early in the last quarter, both teams settled into their usual work.

The composure shown by Physed on attack paid off to keep itself in the hunt, but South Pacific showed patience to make sure it scored off almost every ball that reached its end of the court.

With almost no time left on the clock, South Pacific was penalised for delaying play which gave Physed one more shot at goal to draw the game, 63-63.

In other games St Hilda's Senior A upset Markham's College A in a close match, 48-44. Southern Magpies took the win over Physed B, 58-40, while Physed Blue had its first win of the season, over Southern Tuis, 49-39.

 - Bridget Thayer 

Add a Comment