Leading Kiwi jockey in coma after accident

Rosie Myers at Riccarton Park Racecourse in 2018. Photo: Getty Images
Rosie Myers at Riccarton Park Racecourse in 2018. Photo: Getty Images
One of New Zealand's leading jockeys Rosie Myers is in an induced coma in Wellington Hospital after a freak accident at the Foxton trials on Tuesday.

The 33-year-old was airlifted to hospital after being dislodged when her horse veered sideways 150m after winning heat 11 at the trials meeting and it is believed a rival horse following her contacted her head straight after the fall.

Paramedics were on the scene to treat Myers who was believed to have been knocked out in the incident.

"Rosie has just been moved to the ICU," her husband William Fell told The New Zealand Herald from Wellington Hospital.

"She has been in the induced coma since before she was flown here and hasn't been brought out of that.

Rosie Myers. Photo: Getty Images
Rosie Myers. Photo: Getty Images
"The doctors are saying she has some fractures around her face but it looks like there is no fractures in any other parts of her body.

"So we have been told to wait to see what happens in the next 12-24 hours but at this stage she doesn't need an operation."

The accident was extremely unusual in that it happened after the trial had been run and the horses were slowing down to turn around and return to the stables.

Myers's mount ducked sideways, she was dislodged and the horse following her struck her.

Trials are conducted under race-like conditions to educate horses or improve their fitness, and the Racing Integrity Unit steward in charge of the meeting Neil Goodwin said the incident was minor in how it unfolded but Myers was simply unlucky.

The winner of 650 races in New Zealand alone, Myers is a respected senior member of the jockey ranks.

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter