You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Williams, omitted from the All Blacks team which lost the Tri Nations decider against Australia in Brisbane on Saturday night, said today he didn't want to make a "hasty decision" and would reveal all following the global tournament which finishes on October 23.
The NZRU, Blues and Chiefs are all eagerly awaiting a decision from the former league player, who is at the centre of a sponsorship wrangle with the national body.
But Williams said at the official All Blacks squad announcement at Ponsonby Rugby Club in Auckland today that he had informed the two franchises of the delay in his decision making.
"I just told them that I don't want to make a hasty decision, it's not right for myself or my family," he said.
"I've just got to assess the situation after the World Cup.
"At this stage I'm trying to push everything away and make everything else irrelevant and just solely concentrate on rugby."
Williams has previously told the media that he would announce his playing future after the Tri Nations.
Perhaps most concerning for the three rugby organisations interested in Williams' signature is that it's now not a given that he will re-sign with the NZRU.
"I not sure, I can't say, I'm not 100 per cent any more."
When asked if every option was still on the table, including a move overseas to play, he said: "Every option, we'll just have to see how we go.
"I will say that not being in the squad has definitely not played a part - I just don't think it's right that I make a hasty decision and that's what I would be doing."
Williams played for the Crusaders in this year's Super Rugby season, but has told coach Todd Blackadder of his intentions to move on after only one season.