Cause of Russley School fire found

Firefighters dampen down the fire at Russley School. Photo: Geoff Sloan
Firefighters dampen down the fire at Russley School. Photo: Geoff Sloan

A fire that gutted four classrooms at Russley School was caused by a faulty electrical multi-box.

Four fire crews were called to the school on Cutts Rd at about 7.10am on Tuesday morning and extinguished the fire by about 10.15am.

Fire investigator Wayne Hamilton said the team, which included an electrical engineer, has deemed the fire to be accidental.

 

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter