New teams join firefighting effort in the Mackenzie Basin

Rob Hands has been in charge of the fire scene in the Mackenzie Basin. Photo: RNZ
Rob Hands has been in charge of the fire scene in the Mackenzie Basin. Photo: RNZ
Twenty-five fresh firefighters are at the scene of a large scrub fire in the Mackenzie District and more will join the force later today and tomorrow.

South Canterbury principal rural fire officer Rob Hands said the blaze, which started near Lake Pukaki last Sunday, has now been contained.

There are also six appliances at the scene.

Strong winds, snow and rain that hit the region overnight on Monday helped the crews to identify and extinguish hot spots.

"Currently we're working on securing the perimeter up to 100 metres from the fire edge."

One property was destroyed in the blaze and residents were evacuated from several other properties at the height of the fire.

On Tuesday Mackenzie District mayor Graham Smith told a media briefing that the fire was the latest setback for the region coming on top of the impact of Covid-19 which has hit hard in an area that generates much of its revenue from foreign tourists.

The nearby town of Twizel had been threatened by fire three years ago, Smith said, and this had frightened people.

"We do have a lot anxiety out there amongst the people in this community."

Hands said today that Fire and Emergency is working with the impacted residents to ensure that they feel safe in their homes.

He hopes firefighters will be able to leave the scene during the next few days.

The fire burnt through around 3500 hectares of mainly wilding pines leading for calls to make removing them a priority.

Civil Defence Minister Peeni Henare who toured the region earlier this week said he would be conveying to the prime minister and Cabinet the need for urgency on the wilding pines issue.

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter