86-year-old crowned 'Miss Holocaust Survivor'

Salina Steinfeld is crowned at the beauty pageant in Jerusalem. Photo: Reuters
Salina Steinfeld is crowned at the beauty pageant in Jerusalem. Photo: Reuters
An 86-year-old great-grandmother has been crowned "Miss Holocaust Survivor" in an annual Israeli beauty pageant designed to honour women who endured the horrors of the Nazi genocide.

Ten contestants - ranging in age from 79 to 90 - trod the catwalk at a museum in Jerusalem on Tuesday, their hair styled and make-up applied and dressed to the nines with sashes adorning their gowns.

Organisers of the contest, which was cancelled last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic, say it bestows glamour and respect on a dwindling number of Jewish women whose youth was stolen during World War 2 but who went on to build new lives in Israel.

"After what I went through in the Holocaust, I never dreamed that I could get to where I am, with a big family: two kids, four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren," said contestant Kuka Palmon, who survived a pogrom in her native Romania.

"And yet here I am, at this great age, 87. It's a godly thing, it is indescribable."

Tuesday's winner, Salina Steinfeld, was also born in Romania, where she survived Nazi attacks before moving to Israel in 1948, organisers said.

Other contestants included a woman born in Yugoslavia who survived the Rab concentration camp in modern-day Croatia.

Some commentators and survivors worry the event cheapens the memory of the 6 million Jews killed by the Nazis.

Dana Papo, whose grandmother Rivka competed on Tuesday, disputed that point of view, arguing that the contestants "deserve that everyone see how much beauty there is in these women who went through such horror.

"We will show them how much we love and appreciate them. Thanks to them, we have a future and we have a country." 

 

 

Sponsored Content

drivesouth-pow-generic-1_0.png

 

suv-updated-banner_0.jpg

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter