Kiwi charged with quarantine breaches in Perth

A man who allegedly refused to comply with self-quarantine rules in Western Australia has been taken into custody and refused bail following a struggle with police.

The 32-year-old New Zealander, who resides in Queensland, had been granted approval to enter WA to work and was issued a FIFO self-quarantine direction on October 13 when he arrived in Perth.

He was required to remain in quarantine for 14 days at an East Perth apartment but police say that on Friday a compliance check found he was not there but in front of the complex.

Police said it was further found he had been socialising with a 30-year-old man from the same company who was also quarantining in the complex.

Both men were told they would be fined $1000 for failing to comply with directions.

But on leaving the complex police officers again found the 32-year-old man at the front of the property, WA Police said in a statement on Saturday.

The man was told he would be moved to a secure self-quarantine hotel for the remainder of his quarantine but he became "aggressive and hostile towards the officers", refusing to comply with the direction, the statement said.

"The man was arrested after a short struggle and was relocated to the Perth Watch House."

He was charged with four counts of failing to comply with a direction and was refused bail to appear in the Perth Magistrates Court on Saturday.







Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter